Hey there folks! In keeping with tradition from last month, February will only have black artists.
- The Ukrainian ambassador to the United Nations will ask the international body to deem Russia a supporter of terrorism
- NATO General-Secretary Jens Stoltenberg said air strikes alone cannot defeat the Islamic State
- Want to know how American funding in Afghanistan is going? The watchdog in charge wants to as well since the military classified all info relating to it.
- Scholar Phyllis Bennis explains to The Real News the current issues between Hezbollah and Israel as well as the geo-political consequences of the 1967 war
- The head of Hezbollah said his group was not trying to fight against Israel but will if forced to
- Israel announced it would construct 430 new settler homes in the West Bank
Asia and Oceania
- In Pakistan, 49 people were killed after a bomb went off in a Shi’ite mosque
- Regardless of whatever happens next month in the Nigerian elections, there is no doubt the constant use of the military will do nothing to defeat Boko Haram.
- Part three of three with Irvin Jim, general secretary of of the National Union of Mineworkers of South Africa, who explains the way forward for the working class in South Africa through a mixture of building for elections and demonstrations.
- After the appointment of Panos Kammenos, a nationalist, as Greek defense minister, Turkey is acting more cautious in response to Greece
- Seven people were killed in Donetsk after artillery fire, which both sides in Ukraine blame each other for
- A Russian official warned the West not to support the Kiev government as “catastrophe” would result from such support
Latin America, Caribbean and Canada
- The Mexican government announced it would cut its spending by $8.4 billion due to low oil prices
- The federal government will soon release documents relating to how it spies on citizens through data by the Census Bureau
- U.S. officials say, as a result of a lack of intelligence, running the drone program in Yemen is becoming more difficult
- It is likely Loretta Lynch will be confirmed as the next attorney general and HSBC’s latest illegal actions will be the first thing she’ll have to do deal with
- When looking at the vast amount of black households with little in wealth, it is truly sad to see the promotion of an image for black youth as an aspiring member of the elite
- William Black talks to The Real News about the failure of mainstream media to understand SYRIZA’s victory and the after-effects to be felt of the victory
- It is not a coincidence privatization occurred at the same time inequality rates rose in Asian countries
- As a result of low oil prices, Chevron announced it will spend less this year than last year
- The new Greek financial minister said Greece would look to cancel parts of the country’s debts with the troika
- President Barack Obama pledged to inform House Democrats about the Trans-Pacific Partnership
- Neill Franklin of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition joins The Real News to talk about Loretta Lynch’s comments on marijuana
- Some lawmakers in Congress want Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to speak after the Israeli elections
- Glen Ford: “Changing the Guard in Black America”
- Gallup: Sixty percent of Americans say it is possible to work hard and get ahead in the U.S.
- In St. Louis, a spokesperson for the police was caught on camera pushing a black woman (remember, caught on camera). He is not sorry for what he did and believes he did not push her (remember, caught on camera).
- The New York Times moved its only journalist exclusively covering race to a smaller role because a courthouse in the Bronx is more important
We Don’t Need No Education
- Chinese authorities announced it would regulate textbooks imported from Western countries to counter Western values
Health, Hunger and Homelessness
- Gallup: Out of the past four generations, Baby Boomers are the generation with the most people being treated for depression
- The U.S. is interested in analyzing genes from one million Americans to learn more about diseases
The Second Sex
- It is still great to see the Roe v. Wade decision after more than four decades, but there needs to be more work done for reproductive justice
- Jessica Valenti: “The NFL wants to listen to victims of domestic violence. Where were they last year?”
- The U.S. calls for more oil production despite, you know, low oil prices really hurting other countries. But still, for democracy or whatever.
- Economists found economic catastrophe and loss of millions of jobs would occur should the Colorado River go dry; Quick, someone call the Obama administration. They got the power to change this.
- Those Senators who voted for the Keystone XL pipeline received way more funding from fossil fuel companies than those who opposed it
- As a result of climate change, chimpanzees will become an endangered species within the next five years
- There is illegally stashed artillery munitions at a Louisiana military facility that is potentially hazardous. The federal government might clean it up but it seems to be a hard job to do so.
- Secretary of State John Kerry was fined $50 for not shoveling near his home in Boston
- Dave Zirin: “Solidarity—and the Seattle Seahawks—Forever”
- Rusty Cage [Soundgarden]