Hey there folks, it’s the start of a new week!
- Chris Hedges: “Becoming Hezbollah’s Air Force“; Hedges writes on our culture’s incessant lust for warfare
- To quote David Swanson, “war is a lie” and the use of the Khorasan Group, which does not exist, reinforces how the use of a lie for war can be used those in power.
- In a letter to the International Criminal Court, the National Lawyers Guild urged an investigation into war crimes in Gaza by Israel
- A new study revealed eight migrants die per day on the trek to reach a richer, more developed country for security; Very tragic and highlights the divide between the rich and poor countries.
- It seems most Evangelical Christians are withdrawing support for Israel and siding with Palestinians
- When an Islamic State fighter says U.S. airstrikes against the ISIL do not work, then it is time to reconsider your strategy
- Journalist Tariq Ali interviews Patrick Cockburn about the rise of the ISIL and where the Middle East is heading
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu asserted the ISIL and Hamas were a part of the same “tree” and also warned (again) about Iran’s role in the region
- A Syrian official called for an expansion of the U.S.-led airstrikes in Syria to all hit militant groups in the country
Asia and Oceania
- The death toll is at 36 so far in the eruption of Japan’s Mt. Ontake
- With all of these ceasefire agreements so far with both sides in Ukraine, it only allows the disorder in the country to grow without any means to address it. A case-and-point is the deaths of 12 people in fighting in the east despite the current ceasefire.
- On The Real News, Sister Teresa Forcades, who lives in Spain, talks about the power of the banking industry colluding with governments, and the resistance from below for another life
- A new report warns “Big Data” presents problems for labor and ethnic groups as it potentially creates inequalities
- U.S. judge Thomas Griesa ruled Argentina in contempt of court, which Argentina consideres illegal under international law
- A new report from the Center for Economic Policy and Research found Brazil assisted the poor through financial assistance and raised their standard of living over the past decade
- California Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill to provide protections for temp workers holding their employers accountable for any wage theft or safety standards violations
- Gallup: 35 percent of Americans favor a limited government, while 32 percent favor stronger government
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi continues his neoliberal tour with a stop at the White House
- While the Obama administration may to keep a trial on its methods in Guantanamo Bay secret, media organizations sued to ensure it is public
- How much is the war against the ISIL costing so far? It is estimated it is $780 million
We Don’t Need No Education
- To protest potential curriculum changes in Colorado, teachers called in sick to protest at two area schools
The Second Sex
- A new study found women who are unable to get an abortion experience higher rates of domestic violence compared with women who can get an abortion
- It is good news California passed such a law since colleges and universities do not expel students charged with sexual assault
- Time is running out for some communities in California as the drought worsens with water supplies at risk
- A new study only verified what we know: The counter-movement preventing meaningful action on climate change is prevailing
- Dave Zirin: “Are Gaza Protests Coming to the NBA Preseason?”
- “Obama Informs Nation Anarchy Will Reign During Search For New Attorney General“; Finally, thanks The Onion
- Me, Myself and I [De La Soul]