Hello everyone. Hope your day was bright.
- “Iran has sharply criticized the U.N. nuclear watchdog over “baseless allegations” about its atomic activity, a document showed before talks between the two sides on Friday to discuss a stalled inquiry into suspected bomb research by Tehran.”
- Russia will guard Syria’s chemical weapon sites and ensure their destruction, but do not want the weapons to be sent to Russia.
- Volunteers in Syria attacked by either Assad’s forces or by the rebels.
- The mall attack in Kenya has been linked to Kenya’s role in the global war on terror. In other words, everything Jeremy Scahill said is true and you should go out and read his book.
- One of the founders of The Pirate Bay has had his sentence cut in half.
- 4,000 lives will die, or 12 a week, if action is not taken against “slaves” being used for the World Cup in Qatar.
- One British woman is now being sought after by Interpol in the attacks related to the mall attack in Kenya.
- Malala Yousafzai urges UN to send books, instead of weapons into Pakistan.
- Militants in the Kashmir region of India have killed eight officers there after disguising themselves as soldiers.
- The head of Barilla, a Italian pasta company, states that gays “can eat someone else’s pasta.” Slight innuendo perhaps?
- JPMorgan chief Jamie Dimon will meet with the Department of Justice on Thursday to discuss the charges against JPMorgan and the $11 billion settlement. Or might not. Who knows?
- Evangelos Venizelos: “We understand very, very well how difficult it is for every government to accept debt relief. … Our demand is not debt relief. It is additional reprofiling without problem, without additional burden for our institutional partners,” Says the person who has two positions in government.
- It was ! “At this time of the month it might not be that unusual to log on to your online banking and find it somewhat depleted, but customers at Nationwide building society were shocked yesterday to find they apparently had no cash at all.”
- Matt Taibbi explains how Wall Street is stealing funds for public pensions.
- Muhammed Ali and MLK were both spied in “Operation Minaret” by NSA then because they were “anti-Vietnam”.
- Emptywheel discusses how the NSA“bids to expand power domestically over Chinese terrorists.”
- Federal contractors pay lower wages than Wal-Mart and McDonald’s do. Yeah, I couldn’t believe it either.
- $2.13 is the minimum wage for tipped workers. That has occurred for the past 11 years.
- Yes! North Carolina teachers are considering walking out to protest the poor working conditions.
- “In the first of many concrete moves after the AFL-CIO passed a resolution at its national convention to create new and lasting community partnerships to open and broaden the labor movement, the federation announced today that it entered a new national partnership with United Students Against Sweatshops (USAS).”
Top Gun! (Stories)
- “Fox News senior judicial analyst Andrew Napolitano on Thursday warned viewers that a UN treaty designed to curb weapon sales to extremists would be a step toward ‘world government’ and ‘controlling all of us.’” Wait, what?
- Wall Street Journal will hire a reporter to cover an important beat: mansions. Why? Because why not. Go here if you want to apply (or see if it’s actually serious).
- “Krokodil”, an opiate found in Russia that eats skin, is now appearing in Arizona.
- Paul Krugman: “How, then, are things even worse than he says? Because many of the rich are selective in their opposition to government helping the unlucky. They’re against stuff like food stamps and unemployment benefits; but bailing out Wall Street?”
- Zimmerman’s wife states George went on “Victory Tour” after the trial.
Health, Hunger, and Homelessness
- Eat up! “Consumer and labor activists are staging a White House protest this afternoon over a federal proposal to replace inspectors at poultry factories, which they charge will mean more injured workers — and more chicken poop on Americans’ dinner plates.”
We Don’t Need No Education
- SAT scores have remained “largely stagnant” for the past three years. Eh, I hated it when I took it the first time around.
The War on Women
- Republican Gubernatorial candidate in VA states he has done more for women than anyone else. I’m sure you figure out the problem with that statement.
- 30 days to be served by rapist. Expected outcry results from this. It is truly sickening to see just 30 days.
- Anti-Abortion activists? Meet the Wichita women who are fighting back against you.
- “Is the Natural Gas Industry “ to blame for a large sinkhole in Louisiana?
- Scientists can make a state of matter similar to lightsabers.
- Woman makes wrong turn in half-marathon, wins full marathon. I knew she shoudn’t have taken that left turn at Albuquerque.
- That jaw we all have? You can thank a fish that existed 419 million years ago for it.
- Roger Goodell announces something new for the NFL.