Happy weekend to all. I’m in the mood to bake some cookies.
- High fives! Government in Greece has arrested founding member of Golden Dawn and four members of Parliament for being a part of a “criminal organisation” and other charges.
- “Centre-right ministers in Italy’s fragile coalition government resigned Saturday, throwing the country into a fresh political crisis after Prime Minister Enrico Letta issued what they called an ‘unacceptable’ ultimatum.”
- Netanyahu will travel to the US for a media counter-attack against Iran after recent diplomatic changes by Iran with rest of the world. “I intend to tell the truth in the face of the sweet talk and charm offensive of Iran” states person who obviously doesn’t do that often.
- More than 50 students in Nigeria killed by in an attack by “suspected Islamic militants.”
- ”Jailed hunger-striking Pussy Riot punk band member, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, who is refusing food in protest over what she has called murder threats and ‘slave labour conditions,’ was on Sunday moved to a hospital, an official said.”
- Mumbai building collapse has killed dozens of civilians, yet rescuers are trying to help those who are alive get out of the rubble.
- In Italy, black models have charged the fashion industry with racism and the industry is starting to get defensive.
- “Did Japan Lie Its Way Into the Olympics?” Will they get a gold medal for it?
- Two arrested after throwing shoes at Iran’s Rouhani.
- “What if the sole superpower on the planet makes its will known — repeatedly — and finds that no one is listening? Barely a decade ago, that would have seemed like a conundrum from some fantasy Earth in an alternate dimension. Now, it is increasingly a plain description of political life on our globe, especially in the Greater Middle East.”
- “The number of women over the age of 65 living in extreme poverty jumped by 18 percent last year after having held steady for most of the previous decade the National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) reported Thursday.”
- BP back in court to fight against fine of 18 billion dollars for their failure to stop the oil spill in the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster.
- Let’s not forget Asia can be affected if the government shutdowns.
- Dallas County Police will execute warrants from 15-ton vehicle that can withstand “nuclear environment.”
- Emptywheel has another reason why David Barron shouldn’t be given a lifetime appointment to the First District Court.
- “The case the Supreme Court will hear involves a South Florida greyhound track, now known as Mardi Gras Gaming, where UNITE HERE reached an agreement with the employer in 2004. The company would allow union representatives to speak to workers in non-work areas during non-work times and would provide the union with contact information for employees. It would also “remain neutral” about unionization.”
- Two days. “The US government is on the precipice of a historic shutdown that would result in hundreds of thousands of federal workers being placed on unpaid leave, after House Republicans refused to pass a budget unless it involved a delay to Barack Obama’s signature healthcare reforms.”
- “CBS host Bob Schieffer on Sunday was forced to explain to Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) that his plan to keep the government from shutting down in the next 48 hours would not work because he had a simplistic view about the way Congress functioned.”
- Bill Clinton: Sometimes you “have to call people’s bluff.”
- “Claudia Trevisan had traveled to Yale University in the hope of securing an interview with the president of Brazil’s supreme court. Instead, she found herself writing a very different legal story. Soon after arriving on campus she was arrested, handcuffed and held in a cell for several hours.”
- Going flying? Here’s a thought: Pilots are falling asleep at an alarming rate.
We Don’t Need No Education
Health, Hunger and Homelessness
- The Tech Boom in San Francisco is forcing individuals who aren’t so wealthy out into the streets and outside of SanFran forever.
The War on Women
- Cleric in Saudi Arabia states that when women drive, their ovaries are affected.
- “A journalist says she was ‘completely dehumanised’ on stage during an Xbox One Event at Eurogamer Expo 2013, by a comedian who made degrading jokes about her gender. Eurogamer Expo says it is investigating the matter.”
- More from UN Report on Friday. Temperatures will rise by 8.6 degrees Fahrenheit this century.
- Pakistan hit by a 2nd earthquake that has killed 15 so far after 515 were killed last werek.
- Aaron Paul on SNL as Jesse Pinkman on the ACA with Obama.