Hey folks. Glad to be back for the Roundup.
- Professor Michael Hudson explains to The Real News that the rise of the far-right shows how much of a void there is when there are no left-wing parties
- Chris Hedges: “The Ghoulish Face of Empire“; On the war criminals in our society
- The White House confirms President Barack Obama told President Vladimir Putin to stop supporting the pro-Russian separatists or else face more “costs”
- What is happening right now in Iraq with Islamic State in Iraq and Levant militants shows the extent of the power of Western war criminals
- Meanwhile, legal protections for U.S. soldiers in Iraq were obtained after reaching an agreement with the Iraqi government
- The Real News uncovers the origin of distributing the land in Israel and its consequences for current times
- Ray McGovern explains how Iraqi civilians are being left out of the discussion with too much emphasis on the U.S. government
- Journalist Patrick Cockburn reports on how Iraq is slipping into state full of chaos as a result of ISIS militants
- With Iraq in disarray, the Kurdish region now sees independence as a realistic possibility
- Three Al-Jazeera journalists were sentenced to 10 years in prison by a court in Egypt.
- In Nigeria, a car bomb killed at least eight people and injured at least 20. No one knows who is behind the bomb.
Asia and Oceania
- Where are most of the foreign fighters for ISIS coming from? Australia.
- A mixture of air strikes and governmental troops in Pakistan left 25 alleged militants dead
- A former official with Golden Dawn says the party aims to make a “one-party” state in Greece
- Despite a ceasefire being signed between separatists and the Kiev government, fighting is still being reported between the two; A separatist leader said the group will uphold the ceasefire until Friday morning and hope to make a deal until then
Latin America, Caribbean and Canada
- Economist Jeff Faux talks to The Real News on how undocumented families come from countries the U.S. has been involved in
- Central banks, which should be noted have unchecked power, are buying stocks from corporations to make investments rather than assist the economy
- Some good news was that the manufacturing sector in the U.S. for the month of June grew at a level faster than was expected
- The economic system we currently have is just like the mafia in the movies we watch where the elites in society get what they want
- Uber, the latest start-up promised by some to be revolutionary, has its share of problems associated with it that should be noted
- After going on strike for five months, a platinum union in South Africa said they accepted a deal on wages with their employer and will go back to work
- A new report from the Center for Economic Policy and Research found unions can help not only women, but also families
- Gallup: 65 percent of Americans disapprove of the way President Obama is dealing with immigration
- After Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said the wages of workers was “flat,” he made a plan to lower wages of construction workers to fund an Interstate bridge
- The latest book of Hillary Clinton, amid the turmoil in Iraq, barely mentions her work in Iraq
- In what shows the nature of the Obama administration, White House lawyers referenced the Authorization to Use Military Force bill, passed in 2001, as their rationale to kill Anwar al-Awlaki.
- While police officers arrest individuals for petty marijuana possession, rapists are let free to walk
- Kevin Zeese and Margaret Flowers: “Ending Empire Is as Crucial as Confronting Wall Street”
- In Chicago, Ill., a police officer shot bean-bag rounds at a 95-year-old man who refused to go to the hospital, killing him.
- Rania Khalek: “Cities Fight Obama’s Deportation Machine”
- San Francisco, Calif., shows the consequences of income inequality as the poor forced to leave
We Don’t Need No Education
- Michelle Chen: “Starbucks baristudents should beware the green mermaid bearing gifts”
Health, Hunger and Homelessness
- A new study found a link between use of pesticides and autism rates of children whose mothers lived near fields treated with pesticides
- In West Africa, ebola cases rose with 20 reported deaths and Doctors Without Borders said this was worrisome
The Second Sex
- - President Obama told employers it would be beneficial to all parties involved if mothers were given maternal leave
- The latest abortion ban in Ireland is indicative of the history in the country against pregnant women
- Jessica Valenti: “What makes a slut? The only rule, it seems, is being female”
- Last year, a train carrying crude oil exploded in Lac-Mégantic, Quebec, Canada killing 47 people. Newly released documents expose the neglect that allowed this to happen.
- As a result of the growing number of icebergs, the habitat in Antarctica is slipping from its high standard
- Dahr Jamail: “Farming for the Future”
- The Prime Minister of Fiji said history will show developed countries failed to prevent climate change and caused destruction of smaller states
- Gallup: 62 percent of Americans say social media does not have any influence on their online purchases
- SCOTUSBlog once again was rejected for a Supreme Court press pass for conflict-of-interest