It’s the start of a brand new week, folks!
- Lawyer Michael Ratner discusses with The Real News about the poor decisions of Sweden in the case of Julian Assange
- Pro-Russian separatists agree to give the black boxes from the downed MH17 flight to the Malaysian government
- Vice President Joe Biden stated he once told Russian President Vladimir Putin he does not have a soul
- Since the beginning of the Israeli operation in Gaza, over 500 Palestinians have died
- Glenn Greenwald: “Netanyahu’s ‘Telegenically Dead’ Comment Is Grotesque but Not Original“; Journalist Natasha Lennard also writes about this horrid comment
- Some Israeli lawmakers and academics call for either the death of Palestinians, rape of Palestinian women, or destruction of Palestine itself
- Boko Haram is a group born out of poverty and elite politics, which says a lot about the state of politics in Nigeria
- Seven were killed and at least 40 were injured when Islamist militants fought with soldiers near an army base in Benghazi, Libya
- Hillary Clinton called for a tougher response toward Russia by both the U.S. and Europe
Latin America, Caribbean and Canada
- While seeking a “global resolution,” Argentina asked a U.S. judge to give it more time to pay bondholders
- Julia Angwin reports on a “cookie alternative” called AddThis that tracks your information and is extremely difficult to block
- A new report by Human Rights Watch shows federal agents are involved with most terror plots
- Dean Baker: “Cheap Talk at the Fed”
- A new Senate report found the “dubious” ways major hedge funds and banks avoid taxes
- Low-wage workers at retail and fast food chains are paid so poorly that they have to rely on state benefits, while their bosses continue to make an incessant amount of money. Though a fair tax would change all of that.
- Billionaire Carlos Slim proposed a three day work week, albeit with a later retirement and more hours, to help workers; We can help workers if you hand over most of your money
- President Obama signed an executive order barring discrimination by federal agencies against those in the LGBTQ community
- Gallup: For the 22nd quarter in his presidency, President Barack Obama averaged an approval rating of 43.2 percent.
- An AIPAC-written resolution was passed in the Senate with 100 votes for and zero against.
- White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest criticized The Washington Post’s reliance on anonymous source, which reporters at a briefing challenged
- Allison Kilkenny: “The US needs immigration reform, not another opportunity to blame the GOP”
- A former aide to President Bill Clinton warned Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg defends “some rather extreme liberal views”
- In what shows apathy or strong disillusionment with our system, there are record-low turnouts in some primaries across the U.S.
- Glen Ford talks to The Real News about a Pew Research Poll and the elements of racism still present in society
- Infrastructure in the U.S. is so poor that even Joseph Stalin could do a better job of improving it
- The U.S. military bars transgender individuals from openly registering, but activists are trying to change that
- Texas Governor Rick Perry (R) is set to deploy over 1,000 National Guard troops on the border with Mexico
- Kevin Zeese and Margaret Flowers: “People Are Mobilizing to Finally Put an End to the Disastrous U.S. Empire”
Health, Hunger and Homelessness
- A new study found HIV rates have declined for all groups except for gay men
The Second Sex
- Even companies that market their products toward women are male-dominated at the top
- A court in Greece ruled the threat of female genital mutilation qualifies migrant women as refugees
- It seems June was the hottest one on record, which followed the warmest May on record
- Dahr Jamail: “The Brink of Mass Extinction”
- In the Pacific Ocean, there seems to be “trash islands,” which are debris and trash thrown away that stick together as small islands
- A new study found dementia may be prevented through a good diet and exercise
- Chris Hedges: “The Actor and the Minister”
- Little Busters (The Pillows)