How are you doing today?
- Journalist Alex Kane explains four ways the U.S. is a part of Israel’s crimes in Gaza
- U.S. intelligence asserts pro-Russian rebels mistook MH17 as a plane of Kiev government and the blame lies with Russia
- Journalist Tariq Ali explains the Israeli lobby in Western countries, the resistance in certain places and how the situation in Gaza is playing out
- The assault on Gaza by Israel is occurring without major international pressure against it and Israel is not held accountable for its crimes
- Rania Khalek: “Israel’s Iron Dome doesn’t cover Bedouins”
- Meanwhile, Hamas offered a truce that no one in Western media bothered reporting
- Dave Zirin: “Four Little Boys and the Price of Play in Gaza”
- Some towns in Israel had businesses close down to protest the actions of Israel in Gaza
- Hospitals in Gaza also face the issue of electricity outages as bombs have affected the electrical infrastructure
- In Baghdad, Iraq, a suicide car bomber killed 21 people, on their way to a Shia shrine, and injured 13
Asia and Oceania
- In China, a city was closed off after a man died of the bubonic plague and others were quarantined
- Turkey evacuated 51 people from the Gaza Strip, which include some Turkish citizens
Latin America, Caribbean and Canada
- Latin America is looking towards other countries such as China or Russia to become stable, which the Global North certainly is not in favor of
- Both the U.S. and Germany will be holding talks about policies regarding spying after recent scandals involving U.S. agents
- A federal judge ruled Google to face a lawsuit where it gave away user data to advertisers without consent
- It has been four years since the Dodd-Frank reform bill was passed and it still has not been fully implemented
- Part one of three with Faizel Ismail, a former South Africa official, on the history of the Doha Round and its consequences
- With major telecommunication companies behind them, the Republicans are cutting any hope for net neutrality
- While the media circus around Hillary Clinton continues, Vice President Joe Biden is shaping himself as a liberal alternative; A hawkish Democrat promoting himself over another? What are the odds?
- The U.S. is confiscating passports of Yemeni-American citizens, which the latter call a violation of their rights
- Children under 12 are the fastest growing group of migrants/refugees coming into the U.S.
- It is a small victory as Detroit, Mich., stopped its water shutoffs for 15 days
- A new report uncovered an alarming rise in the number of far-right groups throughout the U.S.
- After Palestinian journalist Rula Jebreal criticized MSNBC, along with other corporate media structures, for its pro-Israel coverage, she was dropped as a contributor to the network. FDL Book Salon will host journalist Michael Arria on Sunday, July 27, about the reactionary antics of MSNBC.
- Marissa Alexander was denied a chance to argue her case involved Stand Your Ground and still could get 60 years in prison
We Don’t Need No Education
- Administrators in colleges and universities are seeing their income rise while their colleges suffer from debt, low-paid adjuncts or more
- Louisiana parents in favor of Common Core sue Republican Governor Bobby Jindal for interfering with it through executive orders
Health, Hunger and Homelessness
- “Natural food” in food stores is nothing but another part of major corporation’s goal for profits
- To decrease the HIV rate throughout the world, researchers at the International AIDS Conference recommended decriminalizing sex work
- Meanwhile, it seems a drug can pull the HIV virus out of hiding inside the body
The Second Sex
- Whenever women gain victories in expanding their reproductive rights, anti-abortion activists become more rabid
- A report by UNICEF found 700 million women around the world married before the age of 18; Insane
- 75 percent of staff for major pictures are male
- Good news as the Obama administration will be funding a study to learn more about female genital mutilation
- “The steroid era of climate change.” That is what one NOAA scientist called living conditions around the world
- Are you a fan of hockey? Bad news as the NHL released a report worried about the damaging effects of climate change on the sport.
- Renewable energy constitutes half of the new energy capacity in the U.S.
- The “pause” in global warming is really a natural variation in the temperature; So climate change still is real and will ruin us if nothing is done
- Calling soldiers as “heroes” dehumanizes them. It ignores what they faced and will continue to face.
- In Los Angeles, Calif., tree planted in the name of George Harrison, a member of the Beatles, was killed by beetles
- Same Old Song and Dance [Aerosmith]