We’re in the middle of the week. Half way there!
- President Barack Obama: What Russia is doing in Ukraine is a “brazen assault on the territorial integrity of Ukraine”; Wait, what?
- Obama’s statements on Russia bring into question what the West seeks to accomplish against Russia
- It seems the U.S. and the U.K. will seek NATO’s help to attack the Islamic State
- Israel and Jordan are in negotiations over a $15 billion gas deal, where the oil from Israel will be sent to Jordan
- In a phone call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry told him to stop with more settlements
Asia and Oceania
- After right-wing reactionary Italian politicians returned from a visit to North Korea, they claimed it was a place to learn from
- Meanwhile, the country killed at least 910 suspected militants in North Waziristan
- While no ceasefire was agreed to, Russia and Ukraine announced a “ceasefire process”
- In Greece, a man accused of attempted murder of civilians who were in a Spanish language course back in 2008 was a member of the Golden Dawn central committee during that time
- France said it would not send navy assault ships to Russia over the latter’s actions in Ukraine
Latin America, Caribbean and Canada
- It seems Burger King was avoiding a lot of taxes for a while and made up things on their overseas financial statements
- New government estimates found health care costs will start to rise
- Workers at Jimmy John’s in Baltimore, Md., are attempting to unionize for better conditions
- Drivers in Los Angeles, Calif., that are a part of Uber protested the cut in rates
- Journalist Michelle Chen explains how the state of New York became a place where unions received support and respect
- Atlantic City, N.J., is facing a decline in the drawing power of its casinos, which unfortunately leaves workers at risk of being laid off or already unemployed in some cases
- Guards in tech stores, specifically Apple stores, out in San Francisco, Calif., demonstrated for better job security
- Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel: Both Russia and China seek to close the technological gap with the U.S.
- Pew: The growth of undocumented immigrants in the U.S. stabilized in the last few months
- Vice President Joseph Biden: We will send IS to the “gates of hell“; Did you help build that as well?
- Part three of four with investigative journalist David Cay Johnson about the Washington-Wall Street connection and the power of the elite in our society
- Gallup: 32 percent of Americans believe the U.S. government should take a “major role” in improving the lives of minorities
- A new government report found the state of New Jersey had errors when it came to a marketing effort after Hurricane Sandy
- Bad news. A federal judge ruled a law banning gay marriage in Louisiana was constitutional.
- Theodore Wafer who shot and killed Renisha McBridge was sentenced for 17 years in prison
- After the Los Angeles Police Department wrongly said a friend of Ezell Ford was a gang-member, the rapper demanded an apology from the corrupt and racist police force
We Don’t Need No Education
Health, Hunger and Homelessness
- CVS announced it would no longer sell any tobacco products in its stores
The Second Sex
- Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI): I have never seen sexism in the Senate and Sen. Gillibrand should say who the people are who harassed her
- A wonderful article about the services offered by abortion clinics with one in particular in Jamaica, N.Y.
- A former government official in Britain runs a climate change denial institute, which is connected to a think-tank embroiled with oil and tobacco companies
- In an unfortunate case, The New York Times ran an ad in one of their newspapers where Hamas was equated with IS
- Good news as Michael Sam was signed by the Dallas Cowboys for their practice team
- I think this Reuters article really captures who Steven Sotloff was and why he went to the Middle East
- As The Years Go Passing By [Jeff Healey]